How Many Have Visited....

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Recent Update on Parker's health...LONG 2 Days!

As a mother of a child with Asthma, I have some nights where I worry about the "cough" or the breathing that I hear going on with P! Well these past few days have made me appreciate the God given "motherly -instinct!"
I took him in on Sunday to Urgent care due to a BAD cough and high fever! But it didn't stop there! He was checked for strep (negative) and diagnosed with Croup. I took P back today to his Pediatrician to find out that the diagnosis was wrong on Sunday. He very well could have had croup then, but it got worse and the fever spiked to 103! I hate fevers, but I also love that we have them as a warning sign that something is going on. I obviously did NOT get ANY sleep last night! :( tossed and I turned and then wondered if it was 4AM (since I set my alarm to go and check on him at that hour)! When 4AM finally came around, his fever was still 102.8! He was so weak and not interested in his Tylenol. But I got it in him and was able to get some Pedialyte in him! When I got him into the Dr. he was wheezing really bad and she said -"His chest was clear on Sunday???! He is really bad today!" I just wanted to cry right then and there. I can't make my boy any better, but I was so THANKFUL that I didn't think it was just a virus and ignore the fevers! It turns out the Croup turned into BRONCHITIS & the fevers......were a warning sign for his DOUBLE EAR INFECTIONS! OUCH!!! Poor little boy.
So we are back in sick bay here! No big plans for the rest of the week! I am NOT complaining. I am very thankful for God allowing me to stay home and care for him and as my dear friend told me today, it is SO good that I do not have a job that would be taking me away right now! Parker IS my full time job and I am getting a workout! (Looking forward to some LONG NEEDED SLEEP)! All you mommy bloggers know that feeling-the fear and worry when you are not sure what is wrong with your kid. I had it all day and got reassured by Dr. McGee that he was BAD and we were in the right place and I did the right thing! We got a specific routine for the next 5 days of 4 breathing treatments of Albuteral and we also have to do Pulmicort each morning and night!~/ On top of the antibiotic and oral steroid too)! No pressure on my end (NOT!!!) Praying we stick to it! So to all my mommy bloggers reading this: Follow your gut-don't hesitate to call! I sure was glad today that I didn't wait! It could have turned into Pneumonia if I had just rested on the Sunday visit and ignored going in today!
Thankfully he went to sleep (and he is not coughing!) However, the day has seemed SO long to me that right after we put Parker to bed , I discovered we had NO MORE Albuteral in the house. (And we need it if he has an attack)
SO, I instantly run and find the box. Little to discover that the refill is at an old pharmacy we are no longer at. I call them to see IF there are any more refills. (Thankfully there were 3). I hang up with them and call our current pharmacist. I BEG the pharmacist to make the transfer PRONTO....and that my dear husband would be there 10 minutes before they close! We have the medicine and it was all worth the hassle...for my SANITY! I think I can get some sleep now!!! SO now you see why we had such a LONG DAY!
Praying we make it through this week!
I can't imagine how you moms do it with more then 1 kid!!!
Off to sleep and gain some sanity (and brain cells back)!


Lindsey said...

Whew girl! What a week! I am definitely praying for all of you! I know how it is to be emotionally drained from worry, physically drained from all the work and tired from no sleep! Hang in there mama!

Elizabeth @ things with feathers said...

Oh, poor little P! I hope he feels better very soon. Sick little guys are no fun, no fun at all.